A Little Bit of History

Don’t forget to visit Dr. Pieper’s Memorial Octagon next time you come in to the Middletown hospital.
On display are photos and veterinary tools used by Dr. Pieper – some which trace back to the 1930s!
Dr. Pieper’s Early Life
Dr. Pieper, “The Doc”, was born in Newington Connecticut and was raised on a dairy farm. He graduated from Hartford High School in 1928 and the New York State Veterinary College at Cornell University in 1932. He returned to Connecticut to open his private practice in 1933 catering to animals both large and small.

He took a leave of absence from his Middletown practice for four years to serve as a major in the Army Veterinary Corps Service Command in New England at which time he received a commendation medal for outstanding service. After leaving the service, he returned to Middletown to continue practicing veterinary medicine.

The Beginning: Pieper Veterinary Hospital
From 1937- 1985 Dr. Pieper’s relentless work ethic as well as his dedication to his clients and their pets or farm animals was instrumental to the successful growth of his mixed animal practice. He visited dairy farms in the morning, returned back the hospital to do mid-day surgery followed by afternoon and evening office calls. It was not unusual for clients to recall a midnight call from “the Doc” reporting on their pet’s progress. Dedicated to 24 hour service, Dr.Pieper attended to all his emergencies, receiving calls at night directly at his bedside.

DrPieper
As president of the Connecticut Veterinary Medical Association in 1940-1941, president of the New England Veterinary Medical Association 1949-1950, and Vice president of the American Veterinary Medical Association, Dr. Pieper was very active in organized veterinary medicine. This involvement reflected his philosophy that positive interaction and sharing of knowledge among veterinarians working together strengthens the veterinary profession and provides the most ideal care for animals. Dr. Pieper was also a strong advocate of education, agriculture, and community. His many awards and scholarships in his name speak for themselves.
DR-OLSON-DR-NUNEZ-Photo.jpg.jpg-242x300
The Birth of Pieper-Olson
Dr. Robert W Olson, who originally worked with Dr. Pieper as a kennel assistant, graduated from the Purdue School of Veterinary Medicine along with his wife, Dr. Virginia Nunez Olson in 1981. The husband–wife team purchased the practice and established the Pieper Olson Veterinary Hospital in 1982. Dr. Pieper continued to practice on a part time basis until he completely retired in 1987. In 1990 the practice developed into Connecticut Valley Veterinary Associates, a hub and spokes practice consisting of four satellite full service hospitals supported by the central Pieper-Olson Veterinary Hospital.
CVVA_PO_History
The Newest Addition: Pieper Memorial

In 2010 the practice launched Pieper Memorial Veterinary Center, a state-of-the-art specialty and emergency veterinary facility, dedicated to the late Dr. Pieper. Pieper Memorial offers 24-hour emergency service seven days a week and also provides advanced specialty services that include surgery, neurology, internal medicine, oncology, dentistry. Pieper Memorial is here to make sure you and your pet explore every option. The future of veterinary medicine is bright and hopeful as it offers new and advanced options and solutions, and Pieper Memorial and its staff is dedicated to being at its forefront.

PM_Building